A Room With a View

A Room With a View
St. John's Harbour

Monday, August 30, 2010

Iceberg Quest

Above is a shot of my handsome husband as we return from a 2 hour boat tour out of St. John's Harbour and out to Cape Spear. It was an enjoyable evening. I don't ever recall being able to see a reflection in St. John's Harbour before, but that evening there were amazing reflections. There were reflections of colourful boats, the Scotia building and towering cranes.






The quest for icebergs was not a successful one (of course, it is August after all!) We weren't fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of any whales either. According to our tour guide, the whales were a bit "skittish" due to killer whales being in the area recently. We did, however, see some dolphins just ahead of the boat. Very cool!






The rest of the tour entailed a soft lop on the ocean, the occasional salt spray in our faces and wonderful perspectives of the Newfoundland cliffs, as well as the lighthouses, fishing stages and houses built along the coast. A photographer's delight!





Fort Amherst




Lovely to photograph Fort Amherst from a boat rather than from land. It's not often I have that opportunity. And I've used the Lomo effect to enhance it. It's becoming one of my favourite effects. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about.






Check out the above picture. I thought the green of the rocks was pretty interesting. Not sure I'd want to be standing or sitting on those rocks, but it's a brilliant green.







And the lighthouse at Cape Spear. This photo speaks to me of grandeur. If you were able to look very closely you would see several people standing next to the lighthouse at the top of those towering cliffs. Grandeur indeed! Again this week I am caused to appreciate the beauty and ruggedness of our province.


I hope you can appreciate it, too.








No comments:

Post a Comment